Solo Loop: Climbing Left Bear Claw to Mauna o Ahi Windward (MOAW)
• By Peter Clines
I've thought about doing Bear Claw again lately, but wanted to descend via a different route. Since I usually hike alone, traverse options can be difficult to arrange as far as transportation. Dayle and Scott's adventure on Mauna o Ahi Windward (MOAW) gave me a good solution.
Ascending the Left Claw to Puʻu O Kona
Since I climbed the right claw last year (with Thea and Jason), I decided to try the left one this time. It turned out to be less exciting and fairly dense in places, but offered a great workout due to the steep angle of ascent.
I rested at Mushroom Rock to have a snack and ponder which car to buy this week, as my Civic has seen better days. Reaching Puʻu O Kona in the clouds, I was greeted by light rain and stiff winds. From there, I continued along the Koʻolau Summit Trail (KST), reaching the MOAW summit in less time than expected.
Descending Mauna o Ahi Windward
Coming down, I took time to clear the ridge in places where I could safely swing a machete. Props to Scott and Dayle, who marked the trail very well. There was a lot of butt-sliding on the way down due to the steepness and slick soil underneath, which opened up the trail even further.
There were no scary sections, and I never had to employ the rope I brought along. I was able to follow the ribbons all the way to the valley floor before losing them among a number of old trails and swaths. I navigated back to my car by heading toward the left claw, climbing over it, and descending to the water tank.
Casualties of the Trail
Dayle, I never saw your lost ring, but it might comfort you to know that it now has company. As I was heading out of the valley, I realized my machete was gone—likely torn from my belt as I slid down a fern-covered slope at the base of the ridge. I had opted for a controlled "fall" down the slick slope (the closest thing to surfing in the woods!), and it wasn't worth going back uphill to search for it. That makes three machetes lost this year!
It was a great hike, though I paid the price in cuts, scratches, and ruined clothes. My shirt was so ventilated with branch snags that I had to toss it out. At least my car was unmolested upon my return.
Thanks to Dayle for a great description of this trail!

Comments
Post a Comment
Mahalo for reading! As a community-sourced blog, we value your input. Please share any trail updates, condition changes, or your own experiences from the listserv authors.