Kawaewae trail clearing (2005 April)

Kawaewae trail clearing

Author: Dayle K. Turner  |  Posted to OHE-L: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 14:31:30 -1000

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005, Wing C Ng wrote:

> I almost wanted to go to the Annual Meeting, but thought
> of a very interesting hike, and so I went hiking instead :)

In contrast, I did not want to go to the annual meeting (though I am glad to hear it went civilly), but similar to Wing, I did want to go hiking, so my Missus and I did just that, opting to grab our trail clearing tools to work on the trail for the Hawaiian Trail and Mountain club hike I'll coordinate in a few weeks.

We started from Lipalu Street (in Kaneohe, for those of you wondering where the heck Kawaewae is) at around 1 pm. Jacque had worked the nite shift (7p Sat to 7a Sun), so we spent Sunday a.m. napping and taking it EZ.

Noticed a bunch of forboding "Keep Out" signs at the end of Lipalu. Commented to Jacque that I had not seen these signs before. Wondered who put them there and about future access via the Lipalu terminus. Comment, Wing? Fred?

Continued into the forest, following a trail made to lead to the heiau (Kawaewae Heiau, in fact) and away from the KO signs. After about 50 meters, we headed right thru the forest to find the trail that had been made (last year?) to avoid skirting along the property line of the last house on the right of Lipalu.

After some snooping around, found said trail. Followed it, clearing as we proceeded.

Somewhat overgrown it was, so we took our time, me with machete and the Missus with loppers (Fiskar brand, good kine). :-)

We did good work and were proud of ourselves. Two hours later, we arrived at the main ridgeline that overlooks the rock Quarry and Kawainui Marsh and environs. Taking a break to hydrate and snack, we made that our ending point for the day.

What remains to be worked on is the section from where we stopped, down along a saddle area where there is an old road (now overgrown with tall grass), and up to the high point of the main ridge.

On Saturday, Dusty did a bunch of work with a weedeater on the section from Kokokahi Place (where [veteran] Bill Gorst lives) to the high point of the ridge. Mahalo, Dusty.

Jacque and I will return in the coming weeks to finish the job. The club hike will be on 5/14 Saturday.

Go HTMC!

--dkt

Comments